Numbers differ depending on where you look, but there are approximately 8000 man-made objects in a stable orbit around the Earth. Approximately 3000 of those are active satellites(1), chattering away in orbit with countless languages and formats. ”Sir Ron” Nash is working on making a system to help keep track of them himself at hack.rva.
A DIY Satellite Tracking System. Right out of Real Genius.
Ron outlines the steps to build out his tracking system in general terms:
- Build the antenna. COMPLETE.
- Make a portable mount. i.e concrete bucket. COMPLETE.
- Make motor drivable azimuth and elevation mount for the directional antenna. IN PROGRESS.
- Stepper or motor tests. Full range of motion tests.
- Full software driven operation tests.
As the mechanics develop he may leak a few of them out here. Stop by the hackerspace on most Open Hack Nights and he’d be happy to share the details with you.